need help w/ AR5 crossover

Rogerfederer

Roy

Thanks for the useful info. I will see how the woofer with the added resistor sounds now that I'm recapping the crossovers.

So the inductors shown suggest an early ar5. I assume that doesn't change the cap or resistor values I should be using.

Well, I'll finish them up and see how they sound! I do have some 2ax with the foam surround woofers so I could swap those in to compare...

Doug

The cap and resistor values are the same. The replacement of the original resistors is a cumbersome job and will not result in an audible improvment. You could save yourself some work by staying with the original resistors.

Let us know if you are able to hear a difference in the woofers. Any differences will most likely be heard in the midrange frequencies.

The 2ax woofers are a very good alternative, if necessary.

Roy

Thanks, Roy

I was thinking of replacing that resistor that is. Small piece of wood with wire wrapped around it

That is the resistor I am referring to, Doug. Don't let its appearance fool you. There is nothing to be gained by replacing it.

Roy

have had the recapped AR5s in my living room tube rig for a couple of days now. they sound very balanced and alive. better than the (recapped and refoamed) advent 5012s i had there immediately before (too bright).

i am going to give them a few more days and maybe raid the foam surround woofers from my 2AXs and see how they sound in the AR5s. i'm trying to thin the herd and so far the 5s are sounding better than the 2AXs have ever sounded. they are probably the keepers. (i guess i should decide between my KLH 6s and 23s, while i'm at it...)

so thanks to all those who gave me great advice. you guys are great!

• 8 months later...

I'm rather late to this discussion, but I've just completed restoring a pair of 1971 AR-5's.

I have no comment about the resistor attached to the woofer. I doubt that it is original AR design or practice.

I too had the same three capacitors you had in yours. I replaced them all. The 4 uf had drifted upwards some. The 24 uf and 72 uf caps had REALLY shifted in value. I tested all of them, just out of curiosity once I'd removed them from the speaker box. They'd increased in value significantly. One of the 72 uf had a reading on my meter of around 150 uf and the 24 was quite elevated too. In choosing to replace them you did yourself a favor!

• 3 years later...

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I would recycle it.

As some already know, I acquired a pair of AR-5 cabinets and have been attempting to get the proper drivers. I have a pair woofers from Pete B. and am getting tweeters from RoyC.

I finally decided to take the cabinets off the shelf to see what I had inside. After removing what looked like pale yellow cotton candy this is what I found-

iphone 231.JPG

iphone 237.JPG

iphone 229.JPG

iphone 236.JPG

iphone 239.JPG

iphone 240.JPG

Apparently, someone got creative with the crossovers. Looks like he tried to bypass the frequency level controls. One set of caps had come loose, hence my being able to photo them in hand.

It's never easy. Sigh.

Any thoughts, opinions, or queries? All are needed and welcomed.

48 minutes ago, ctjetta said:

Any thoughts, opinions, or queries? All are needed and welcomed.

Hi ctjetta, the first thought would be that you should start your own thread on this topic. I see you know how as you started a different topic a bit ago.

Opinion? Well, I happen to have a great fondness for this model. Currently have three sets, two rehabbed and one in the queue.  My own personal opinion/approach is almost always keeping the speakers oem. I have waited months (even years) for something I am looking for to surface but the group here is also a wonderful resource for knowledge and parts. Remember it is my opinion, not saying other approaches are wrong.

Keep an eye out on local craigslist and if yard sale-ing I always ask if they have any old audio equipment, you never know what might be there. Same goes for old vinyl btw. The bay often has offerings for AR5 but I will not have anything shipped and will only work with sellers who I can drive to or meet somewhere so I can inspect the goods. There have been a couple exceptions to this stance, but I can smell a scam or a person I would like to work with pretty early on in a conversation.

Final thought...for now.  AR5 speakers are incredible when rehabbed properly and are worth the investment in both time and money (within reason). I am a believer that cost and value are two entirely different things.

As for the caps in your hand, some will say they are keepers and not to replace. This is where oem has a bit of flexibility for me, and generally I will replace with high quality caps, again within reason.

I agree that you should start a new thread so that people don't have to think about

reading all the history in this thread.

Archived