Tweeter dome replacement?

bikenut

I'm restoring a set of AR-12's.

One of the tweeters has the soft dome cover missing, the speaker seems to work fine though.

Any ideas on how to fabricate a dome replacement and then glue back on, or buy something?

Thanks, Bill

I'm restoring a set of AR-12's.

One of the tweeters has the soft dome cover missing, the speaker seems to work fine though.

Any ideas on how to fabricate a dome replacement and then glue back on, or buy something?

I have a dying AR-3a tweeter here. Once I have a suitable replacement

in hand you're welcome to it if you like. As far as how to transplant the

dome is concerned, though, can't offer any help there.

I have a dying AR-3a tweeter here. Once I have a suitable replacement

in hand you're welcome to it if you like. As far as how to transplant the

dome is concerned, though, can't offer any help there.

I'll take you up on your offer of your dead tweeter.

I'm not sure if I can remove the dome without messing it up, but I'm willing.

Could you send me your email and we can work it out?

Thanks, Bill

• 1 month later...

Hello Gene:

As you know, I received your tweeter yesterday in the mail.

It looked like it would be tough to get the old dome off your dead tweeter.

But, some careful cutting and scraping off of the old glue and stuff, and it was fine.

Some minor trimming and I glued it on my working AR-12 tweeter, perfect.

So, now looking at both speakers, they look orginal.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Now to finish up with the new caps and resistors and I should have some nice sounds coming at me (I hope).

Bill :P

I'll take you up on your offer of your dead tweeter.

I'm not sure if I can remove the dome without messing it up, but I'm willing.

Could you send me your email and we can work it out?

Thanks, Bill

Hello Gene:

As you know, I received your tweeter yesterday in the mail.

It looked like it would be tough to get the old dome off your dead tweeter.

But, some careful cutting and scraping off of the old glue and stuff, and it was fine.

Some minor trimming and I glued it on my working AR-12 tweeter, perfect.

So, now looking at both speakers, they look orginal.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Now to finish up with the new caps and resistors and I should have some nice sounds coming at me (I hope).

Bill :P

Hi Bill,

Good result! I have an AR3a tweeter I am going to attempt to repair. It is intact and has very low output so there is nothing to lose in trying to reset and re-suspend the coil.

Any chance you could take photos of the one you have dismantled to help my understanding of the construction?

Good luck with the rest of the restoration.

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Dave:

Good timing I checked the message board.

Tomorrow is garbage day here and the old tweeter was on it's way out.

But before I throw it out, I've taken a few pics.

It was interesting to see what the heck makes up an old tweeter.

I can't believe guys have figured out how to get the sounds out these things that they do.

I don't think you'll be able to repair your old one.

It is one solid chuck of metal, which is a heavy magnut, encased in some glue/resin, which is encased in a plastic outer shell.

Cutting it apart just to see how it's made really destroys the thing.

So, from what I can see, I'm afraid any attempt to repair it other than what you can get at from the front, the paper dome or maybe the tiny wires which may be broken.

Here the pics I took of the now very dead tweeter, after I cut off the plastic shell and scraped away the glued on covering and paper on the back.

I've add pictures of the front, back and side, in that order.

I love tearing stuff apart to see what's there. Hopefully they will show for you, I can't see them in the preview mode of the message.

I think you're best bet would be to find a good used one here or on ebay or a new replacement, but then I guess you would have one original and a new tweeter, which would sound a bit different I would think.

Good luck, Bill

Hi Bill,

Good result! I have an AR3a tweeter I am going to attempt to repair. It is intact and has very low output so there is nothing to lose in trying to reset and re-suspend the coil.

Any chance you could take photos of the one you have dismantled to help my understanding of the construction?

Good luck with the rest of the restoration.

Cheers,

Dave

post-103227-1227654389.jpg

post-103227-1227654777.jpg

post-103227-1227654809.jpg

Hello Dave:

Good timing I checked the message board.

Tomorrow is garbage day here and the old tweeter was on it's way out.

But before I throw it out, I've taken a few pics.

It was interesting to see what the heck makes up an old tweeter.

I can't believe guys have figured out how to get the sounds out these things that they do.

I don't think you'll be able to repair your old one.

It is one solid chuck of metal, which is a heavy magnut, encased in some glue/resin, which is encased in a plastic outer shell.

Cutting it apart just to see how it's made really destroys the thing.

So, from what I can see, I'm afraid any attempt to repair it other than what you can get at from the front, the paper dome or maybe the tiny wires which may be broken.

Here the pics I took of the now very dead tweeter, after I cut off the plastic shell and scraped away the glued on covering and paper on the back.

I've add pictures of the front, back and side, in that order.

I love tearing stuff apart to see what's there. Hopefully they will show for you, I can't see them in the preview mode of the message.

I think you're best bet would be to find a good used one here or on ebay or a new replacement, but then I guess you would have one original and a new tweeter, which would sound a bit different I would think.

Good luck, Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the photos, just in time before it was binned!

Very interesting. I am only intending to operate from the front and as I have nothing to lose I will try and re-centre and possibly resuspend the voice coil (which is ok but has mechanicaly slipped) somehow if I can. As you say, the best solution is probably a replacement, but the mechanical engineer in me won't let me give up without trying first!

If I get anywhere with it I will post results.

Thanks again,

Dave

Archived