AR 9 LS questions

jpk

Hi there,

Can some one give me information on the AR 9 LS :

- where can I get a picture ?

- comparison with AR 9 ?

- main characteristics ?

- same drivers as in AR 9 series ?

- price level indication with respect to AR9 and AR90 (not in dollars but just relatively, for example : between AR9 & 90)

Thanks in advance

Jean-Patrick

Guest Nigel

Hi Jean=Patrick;

- where can I get a picture ?

I do not know, I have not seen one in years.

- comparison with AR 9 ?

My opinion; it was the lower cost (no price change) replacement for the AR-9.

- main characteristics ?

Downward firing 12" wookfer.

- same drivers as in AR 9 series ?

Yes, except one 12" and one 10" driver in the LS, versus two side firing 12" drivers in the 9.

- price level indication with respect to AR9 and AR90

The LS cost less to manufacture than the AR9, but listed for the same price. At roughly the sametime the AR9LS came out, the AR98LS replaced the AR90.

Nigel

Thank you Nigel for your response.

Having had also information from other sources in my country, I'm told here that it is a 10" downward firing driver + a 12" in front. I'm also told that there is specially developped driver for upper midrange + tweeter combining the 2 drivers of the AR9 ? There is also the same lower midrange as in AR9 & 90 ?

I'm a little bit confused ...

- Can you please describe in detail the drivers : numbers, similarities with the ones of AR9 & 90, placement, types & characteristics ?

- Efficiency : 87 dB ???

- Frequency range ?

- Impedance : 4 ohms nominal ?

- Controls ???

- Number of binding posts ? bi-amping/wiring capable ?

- Is there an acoustic blanket as well ?

- How do they look compared to AR9s : same black grille panels, similar enclosure finish ? size, shape, weight ?

- Are they 100% acoustically coherent with AR9/AR90/AR91 (it is for Home theater set-up)

I just found one pair for sale in Paris, and I just want to be as smart as possible when talking about these speakers before going into possible negotiation. Therefore, I'm relying on you american experts !

Many thanks in advance

Jean-Patrick

Guest Nigel

Jean-Patrick;

Sorry, I cannot assist you more. I have never actually seen a 9LS.

I was rather dis-appointed in the design when I first saw, and never been came very interested.

Nigel

Guest Nigel

Hi Jean-Patrick;

I was just looking at Layne's page, see links, and noticed that he lists the 12" woofer for the 9LS as being the same as for the 9, the 10" being common for the 9LS and 90, the 8" mid being commnon for the 93s, 9LS, 9, 90, 98LS, and

" "Dual Dome" for 9LS, 9LSI, 98LS, is sold out, reconing is available for blown tweeters, must send in your existing plate for repair, cost TBD, no repair yet available for mid. "

see: http://www.speakersupply.com/AR.htm

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

I have a pair of AR 9LS speakers that I would be willing to sell.

They're from 1983, are playing right now, and are in excellent condition.

Please let me know if you have any interest.

David

• 6 months later...

Archived