EPI Inverted dome tweeter repair on EPI 100

redpackman

I picked up a pair of EPI 100's today. One of the tweeters is in pieces. The central part of the inverted dome tweeter came loose. Of course this severed the wires that connect to the tweeter itself. I can solder, but there's very, very little to solder to at this point, particularly on one side. I also probably have to worry about polarity being correct but I can probably figure that out based on the patterns in the failed epoxy/glue that formerly held the tweeter together.

I haven't really begun messing with them yet. I don't want to spend $40 on a new tweeter on Ebay.

Any hope for this project?

Picture attached is the model tweeter I have, and though this is not a pix of my tweeter, it looks pretty much like the condition it's in.

post-123677-0-49342000-1375679465_thumb.

Update. I got VERY lucky with my soldering gun, some solder and some flux.

I LOVE the sound of the EPI 100. It absolutely makes the music sound 3-D. I'm a fan of AR, KLH, Advent et al, but I'm not sure I've ever heard a speaker this size sound so impressive. The highs with the EPI tweeter are crystal clear and the bass is solid as can be for a smaller speaker.

post-123677-0-70330800-1375938005_thumb.

Update. I got VERY lucky with my soldering gun, some solder and some flux.

I LOVE the sound of the EPI 100. It absolutely makes the music sound 3-D. I'm a fan of AR, KLH, Advent et al, but I'm not sure I've ever heard a speaker this size sound so impressive. The highs with the EPI tweeter are crystal clear and the bass is solid as can be for a smaller speaker.

Hallo,

my compliments for your repair work.

never heard EPI boxes, with inverted dome tw, sing but I own a very rare vintage pair of JVC (model SK-8, around 1972, they followed EPI school) speakers with the inverted dome tweeter technical feature, and they sound very good!

Greetings from Italy.

post-139659-0-49843100-1383036347_thumb.

Archived