Anyone know anything about EPI TE 320 speakers?

redpackman

I just picked up a pair at a thrift store. In as much as I've never heard an EPI I didn't like, I picked them up. Both the woofs and mids need re-foaming on both speakers, but I can handle that. The mids seem to be ferro-fluid filled.

Any experiences or opinions?

I "had" a pair that I bought for $35, described as being in "very good condition" but the mids were destroyed and I had read somewhere that the TE series was not considered EPI's best effort. And I hated the vinyl cabinets. Ended up parting them out. Here's a quote from Human Speakers:

"By the late seventies the market was requesting its usual superficial changes in order to have something to talk about, and so the EPI line was overhauled again, more radically, to create the Time/Energy speakers. The new woofers were similar to the older ones, except the cones were a very interesting laminate. A clear Lexan body was glued to the foam from the surround which extended behind it almost to the apex where the voice coil attaches. The tweeters used with these woofers were polycarbonate dome tweeters which sounded pretty good, but if driven hard sometimes actually melted a circle in the dome where the voice coil would heat up."

According to an AK thread; "these are not your usual refoam job as the woofer and midrange cone consists of foam and poly sandwiched together. the foam on the backside extends into the surrounds so I wasn't sure whether the new surrounds would go on the front or back - but decided that the voice coil offset would benefit from gluing it to the back. This also makes it appear as original as possible."

The woofers in mine had been refoamed by Millersound so they were certainly good. Another comment from Audio Asylum, under What Were Some Of The Worst "High End" Speakers You Ever Owned ??

:

"Tweeter deliberately designed for rising high freq response"

Crossovers in mine had those failure-prone black & red PVC caps. I did not bother restoring them but YMMV.

-Kent

post-101828-0-68844900-1405484556_thumb.

• 3 months later...

Yes, TE series are PITB to refoam.

The foam backing on the poly cone peels off and hard to stick the new foam.

Also TE series is not as good as the older series as the tweeter and drivers both are different.

I have a pair of TE 280 that is waiting refoam. Foam is still there but not strong.

They sound decent compared to other smaller TE series I have.

Burhoe tweeter ones are the good ones.

Archived