Researching these AR 1's

neonspike

post-116175-0-96144200-1315247626_thumb.Researching these AR-1's that I "inherited" back around '81-'82 from a family friend who had been a wealthy car dealer around the San Diego area. These have been in my crawlspace for about 6 years now. Have more pics, but thought I'd just post these for now...Mike

Hi there

Nice to see that they are only a few digits apart.

Getting ready to move, so I finally hooked these up today. I had forgotten how absolutely phenomenal these sound! Brought 'em up nice and slow to warm up, after a thorough inspection, with a flashlight through the grilles. They've never been opened up or the grilles off in any way. I could never see a way in without damaging, so I've left them intact. I'm no expert by any means, but judging from other photos, the cones look very good!! When I started to turn these up, if the amp goes to 100, I stopped at about 20 because my wife said it was plenty loud and the floor started to shake. Plenty left in these old things! Again, phenomenal!! Haven't been this excited in a while! Will post more photos later. In good shape for a +/- 50 year old set. Would like to find more info on finishes that these came in, as these are unfinished pine? with 'feet' (also pine) on the bottom. I've not seen any like 'em.

Thanks Dan! Any info would be appreciated. Mike

Getting ready to move, so I finally hooked these up today. I had forgotten how absolutely phenomenal these sound! Brought 'em up nice and slow to warm up, after a thorough inspection, with a flashlight through the grilles. They've never been opened up or the grilles off in any way. I could never see a way in without damaging, so I've left them intact. I'm no expert by any means, but judging from other photos, the cones look very good!! When I started to turn these up, if the amp goes to 100, I stopped at about 20 because my wife said it was plenty loud and the floor started to shake. Plenty left in these old things! Again, phenomenal!! Haven't been this excited in a while! Will post more photos later. In good shape for a +/- 50 year old set. Would like to find more info on finishes that these came in, as these are unfinished pine? with 'feet' (also pine) on the bottom. I've not seen any like 'em.

Thanks Dan! Any info would be appreciated. Mike

Hi there

You will find that quite a few members here are going to be real excited once they read your topic.

There is an AR cabinet refinishing sheet somewhere on this site that I posted a long time ago.

It was direct from AR in case you should wish to touch-up your cabinets.

It is an information sheet on the various speaker cabinet finishes that classic AR used.

You have a well respected speaker system.

Desired by many, afforded by few.

You will want to follow very thorough advice on packaging and shipping them to avoid or at least minimize damage to them.

Hi Dan(Vern?)! Fortunately, not moving very far. The only person handling these will be me, along with my Ernie Ball Eddie Van Halen and Gibson Les Paul 25/50 guitars. Found the articles re: finishes and re-finishing, which there really isn't any need for, since there is none. Found a couple posts re: methods to remove small dings/dents using water or washcloth. Found these interesting as that was a method I had used to remove dings in my pool cues when they needed repair. Not sure if that is the right method for these, but will await opinions. In the meantime, here's a couple pics of what I'll call speaker "A". Open to all advice! Thanks, Mike

post-116175-0-73067000-1315324799_thumb.

post-116175-0-82885900-1315324811_thumb.

That looks like the unfinished pine version, which also had a birch molding around the grill. If so, then the finish would have been applied after delivery by the owner. Does it have a gloss?

Best I can tell, it has no finish whatsoever. Unless it was just a light oil coat, it's raw. Smells of pine(very nice actually) and is definetly ply. No gloss to it. I think that's just the reflection of the flash.

Best I can tell, it has no finish whatsoever. Unless it was just a light oil coat, it's raw. Smells of pine(very nice actually) and is definetly ply. No gloss to it. I think that's just the reflection of the flash.

Definitely sounds like the unfinished pine. Originally the "budget" configuration for customers planning to put the boxes inside consoles or paint, they're actually rare now. I'd just clean them with some mineral spirits and then put a coat of non-silicone paste wax on them and be done with it. Maybe a light sanding first if there are scratches.

Don't think I want to 'sand' these per se. Maybe some steel wool (0000)? There are some dings/dents that I may tackle, but in great shape for their age and how many times they've been moved. My Van Halen guitar came factory with an unfinished maple neck. The manufacturer recommended lemon oil, which is all I've ever put on it. It's silky smooth. Anyone ever use it for something of this nature? Thanks, Mike

Don't think I want to 'sand' these per se. Maybe some steel wool (0000)? There are some dings/dents that I may tackle, but in great shape for their age and how many times they've been moved. My Van Halen guitar came factory with an unfinished maple neck. The manufacturer recommended lemon oil, which is all I've ever put on it. It's silky smooth. Anyone ever use it for something of this nature? Thanks, Mike

Hi there

I would suggest that if you are happy with the appearance of the cabinets, as is, leave well enough alone.

Particularly leave the grille cloth alone, unless of course your system needs serviced.

I will suggest an open type fuseholder and perhaps a 1 - 1 1/4 amp fast blow glass fuse per speaker enclosure.

Your speakers would net you well over $1,000.00 each in an auction.

The woofer is not the desired driver so much as the system and particularly the 8" tweeter.

You can probably receive $1,000.00 each just for them alone if you were to sell them.

I wrote a long time ago a rough breakdown compared to an AR-1W, a woofer only speaker system, and I felt the tweeter cost AR maybe $25.00 each.

Not a bad investment.

The condition after so many years is a pleasure for me to see and read about.

Thanks Genek and Dan! This has been very informative and interesting. Everyone's been great! Now comes the part where we all drop our jaws. When I split from my ex-wife, I didn't get all the components that I originally had. It's taken me days of web-surfing to locate what I ended up missing out on, because I didn't have a name. So I had to surf for pictures. Along with the AR 1's were a pair of DuKane Ionovac 'Tweeters'. They could still be floating around Denver, or in storage somewhere, or God forbid, the dump. But, hopefully not stealing someones copyrighted photo or anything,...they looked just like this!

I remember them being a major pain to hook up (I was young), but they would pierce your ears! Damn! Wish I still had 'em! Not quite worth any kind of reconciliation, but maybe a phone call or email! No idea what those would have been worth. Just hearing them again would be incredible. Alas...

post-116175-0-77201300-1315427130_thumb.

Thanks Genek and Dan! This has been very informative and interesting. Everyone's been great! Now comes the part where we all drop our jaws. When I split from my ex-wife, I didn't get all the components that I originally had. It's taken me days of web-surfing to locate what I ended up missing out on, because I didn't have a name. So I had to surf for pictures. Along with the AR 1's were a pair of DuKane Ionovac 'Tweeters'. They could still be floating around Denver, or in storage somewhere, or God forbid, the dump. But, hopefully not stealing someones copyrighted photo or anything,...they looked just like this!

I remember them being a major pain to hook up (I was young), but they would pierce your ears! Damn! Wish I still had 'em! Not quite worth any kind of reconciliation, but maybe a phone call or email! No idea what those would have been worth. Just hearing them again would be incredible. Alas...

Hi again

I would reconcile if the speakers are really that good.

You can always sleep in the doghouse, been there, done that.

Actually an appreciation of them is difficult at separation time.

People fight over money, custody of dogs and kids, property, and the power over the other person.

Dividing the stereo system is most painful, short of the boat, cabin, and special car collection.

I would definitely never consider using any metallic sanding material, especially steel wool, on or near a speaker surface.

The magnets are extremely powerful and just a few minor flakes or slivers can destroy the woofers or maybe even the tweeter driver, forever.

Good advice re: no steel wool! Hadn't thought of that and the magnet. Think ahead and a little common sense! I've got it bad now! Just bought some 2A's yesterday and the wife's into it now too. She sent me an email this a.m. re: some 4x's for sale. It's just gonna get worse, isn't it?!

Good advice re: no steel wool! Hadn't thought of that and the magnet. Think ahead and a little common sense! I've got it bad now! Just bought some 2A's yesterday and the wife's into it now too. She sent me an email this a.m. re: some 4x's for sale. It's just gonna get worse, isn't it?!

Hi again

Yes it does get worse.

But, what the heck.

• 2 years later...

It's been a while guys, but checking in again. I thought I would post on here first, as it has come time to sell these. We are making a long distance move in the near future, need to pare down, and we are not taking these with. I thought, given all the great advice and interest on this site, it'd only be fair to start here before ebay. If you know of anyone one here that would like these, have them contact me. Obviously, serious inquiries only. Thanks...

Archived