Is it practical to refinish "unfinished pine" AR3a speakers BACK to unfinished pine?

jeff spicoli

if ever you get a package shipped to you like this.....its not a good sign!! i paid $75 for a box full of newspapers!!

post-119757-0-28531100-1393897076_thumb.

If you purchased on Ebay you have recourse especially if you used Paypal. I saw the listing and the detail you are showing of the cabs and drivers was missing on the original listing. I have purchased some electronics on ebay with minor issues that got resolved. Have not yet had to live through your nightmare. Tell us how it goes with your vendor Fleetsale.

Agree with Aadams. This is not "shipping damage" - it's seller irresponsibility or misrepresentation, and should be first communicated to the seller, and then if no satisfaction, to eBay and/or Paypal. .

It's hard to tell what that second woofer is. The squared sides appear to be factory (someone's factory...)

The mid and tweet appear to be correct, and if functioning, have some value - either to you for a future project, or to someone else. If they're fried, then not so much.

Just my $.02, but my starting point would be either a full refund plus return shipping, or enough refund to cover your out-of-pocket minus the value of the usable components.

As always, it sucks when we find out that (whether through stupidity, lack of concern, or outright misrepresentation) others do not adhere to our personal code of conduct.

From my research and help from others I have concluded that the woofer is a replacement AR woofer. I listened to them last night and they did sound pretty good. One woofer did sound different than the other but that could be of bad pots, drivers not working properly, or age.

I contacted the seller and said that the item was not as described and this morning they responded by letting me know that if I send them back I'll get a full refund plus shipping.

So either I keep the speakers and deal with the damage to the cabinets (maybe get a refund on shipping?) and the replacement woofer. Or I get my money back and look for a pair that has their original parts and good cabinets. I guess it depends on what I want.

I would say it comes down to what you paid and what you think they are worth when finished. I paid $350 for my 3a's with good cabs and grills but wrong tweeters. I paid around $200 for a second pair with wrong woofers and poor cabs and no grills. I swapped the tweeters from the one pair into the other and refinished the cabs and recapped them and now have a mint pair for around $600 which is a very good price in my area.

I don't see anything horribly wrong with yours. Refinish the cabs and find a matching woofer, recap and they are good to go. The older looking woofer looks like it may not have the correct surround. It looks like it has a 1/2" roll and not the 5/8" roll it should have. The replacement woofer most likely will not go as low as the original. I think they are very usable and well worth repairing. At least if you do the work you know it's done right.

Don't ask me why my lettering looks strange, it's a brand new computer and I don't know how to change it.

Harry

Jeff,

If you have not done so you should open a case with ebay. The seller was incredibly stupid to ship speakers like that but even when packed properly, stuff happens (I speak from experience). OTOH the seller sounds like an honest seller, offering a refund including all shipping. JUST MAKE SURE THIS CORRESPONDENCE GOES THROUGH EBAY. If push comes to shove they will back you up.

Depending on how much time and effort you can or wish to invest, they can be salvaged but the price would have to be right and only you can decide what price that is. I have repaired similarly bashed cabinets with tinted epoxy. Post # 1 here shows a similar corner bash and the repair http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=6284#entry87273

If you can get another woofer to match the incorrectly refoamed one I'd send the pair to Bill LeGall and for about a hundred bucks (including shipping) you'll have a perfect pair of woofs. Then sell the "replacement" on ebay. Post #12 here shows my AR-91 woofers before & after Bill's work. http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=6565#entry94977

Looks like yours have the same sloppy yellow glue and I would not tackle that myself. Normal refoams, fine. I just finished four AR-94 woofers. But to correct a screw-up you need Bill.

Only you can decide at what point it becomes not worth the bother, but they "can" be salvaged.

Kent

Archived