ar 303a mid

BrianO

Be certain that you have a problem with the driver first. Many times, an intermittent driver can be traced to a faulty push-tab connection or a cold-solder connection in the crossover. Do not attempt to go in and modify or repair one of the domes, as it is very difficult to return it to original specs. You can get it to function, fine, but it's difficult -- if not impossible -- to return it to original specifications.

Be sure to isolate the problem before you send the driver away. I had an Allison: One several years ago that did the same thing. It would cut in and out, and it would sometimes "crackle," and so forth. I eventually traced the problem back to the crossover board itself, and I found that many connections had been "cold" soldered. This is much less likely in something like the AR-303, but I'd check that first. As a last resort, I would try to locate another driver rather than try to get it repaired.

Good luck! --Tom Tyson

Tom makes some good points. Maybe you should swap the tweeters you have and see if the problem follows the tweeter.

Kent

• 4 weeks later...

Archived