KLH Model 24

Arthur

Hi. I am a newbie to this very informative site. I have a pair of KLH Model 24's and decided to replace the caps as one speaker sounded weaker than the other with the bass sounding like its muffled. After replacing the caps, still the same problem. I checked the woofer and tweeter on my ohm meter and both measured good(5.2 ohms). I was thinking there might be a problem either in the crossover or the woofer itself as all wires are securely connected and caps are new. Any inputs will be greatly appreciated. BTW I'm not a technician and all the things I've done were searched by me on the net. My next idea is to re-dope the cloth surrounds and see if it will solve the problem. If it doesn't, I will probably need to find a replacement woofer and/or crossover to restore this speaker. I intend to restore and keep them as the size of these gems just fits my room now. Thanks in advance for all the advise and inputs I can get. Glad to be a member of this site. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Arthur

I have a pair of model 22's that I think are similar to your 24's. When I first tested them, one woofer had a severe vibrating rattle and eventually went dead soon after. The other woofer worked OK, but couldn't handle too much power. The Tweets actually sounded pretty good, but after a searching e-bay for way overpriced original parts, I bought some new drivers from Parts express and these speakers really came back to life. I still have the original drivers in a box, but doubt I will be going back to them anytime soon. I didn't have to do anything to the crossovers to make them sound any better. Please see attached photos'.Good Luck.

John

post-108726-0-47310100-1300410870_thumb.

post-108726-0-94918100-1300410886_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Arthur

I have a pair of model 22's that I think are similar to your 24's. When I first tested them, one woofer had a severe vibrating rattle and eventually went dead soon after. The other woofer worked OK, but couldn't handle too much power. The Tweets actually sounded pretty good, but after a searching e-bay for way overpriced original parts, I bought some new drivers from Parts express and these speakers really came back to life. I still have the original drivers in a box, but doubt I will be going back to them anytime soon. I didn't have to do anything to the crossovers to make them sound any better. Please see attached photos'.Good Luck.

John

Thanks for the inputs and my apologies for the very late reply John. I just interchanged the wires connected to the woofer and they sounded perfectly fine and nice. I almost fell off my chair laughing at my sheer stu*&^ty. Just acquired a pair of Goodmans Maxim (Circa 1965) that sounded wonderful but I am thinking of replacing the caps out of curiosity. I hope somebody out here has an idea of capacitor values for these gems. All the best.

Arthur

Archived