Was Thiel thinking calling out to AR with their 03 and 03a?

Shacky

I just acquired a pair of Thiel 03a's via some great Audio Karma - a CL lister called and gave them to me after they didn't sell because my email was the moet "enthusiastic".

Anyway as I look at the cabs and design it suddenly occurred to me that Thiel may have had a reason to name these early models 03 then the later 03a. They are AS 3-way design known for the bass response and particluar to Thiels their high end accuracy. The woofer has it's own isolated compartment.

So what do you think? Was Thiel giving a call out to the legendary AR's?

IMGP9856.jpg

IMGP9862.jpg

IMGP9861.jpg

Maybe they were referencing the AR 3s. Heck, but for the fact that the Thiel's woofer, midrange, and tweeter weren't as good as the 3A's they might almost be the same speaker! :)

I have a pair of Thiel CS 2.2s that I bought new but I have never cared for the sound that much - no bottom and they sound annoyingly harsh on the top end. Why did I buy them? Well at the time I had just gone through a divorce and my ex wife got all the stereo equipment, including my wonderful Nestorovic 5AS speakers. I could afford the set of Theils at the time so I bought them more by reputation than by listening tests. My 3As are better sounding IMO and my LSTs are FAR better sounding.

Realize design is much different other than it being a 3-way. I've heard these 03a's put out a lot of bass but we'll see. Also heard they are very revealing of any up stream deficiencies in equipment/source material. AR 3a's make just about everything sound good as long as there's enough power to drive them.

• 1 month later...

Had to order new woofer after frying one :rolleyes:

No recone kits available so replacement was only option. What a great company to deal with!!! Everyone on the phone was exceptional. Gary in Service invited me down when I'm in the area for a tour a listening session.

So I asked him if there was any connection with the AR 3 or 3a in the 03 and 03a naming. He said since the 03 came out after the 01, and 02 he thought it was much simpler than that! :blink:

So there you have it.

Archived