New Large Advents

Joel

I just picked up a pair of New Large Advents from a thrift store. They are in terrific shape, and have already been refoamed. I looked inside, and the cap value is 12uf on both of them. Shouldn't they be 13uf? Do these look like they have been recapped? If so, should I add the extra 1uf to bring it up to 13uf? The serial number for one of them is A301340, I could find the other but they are identical speakers.

-Joel

post-115236-0-75590700-1374084213_thumb.

post-115236-0-67904200-1374084224_thumb.

post-115236-0-65990400-1374084232_thumb.

Congrats. It doesn't look like anybody recapped that one crossover in your picture and the one serial number is a pretty low one as New Advents started at 300,000. I seem to remember others finding 12uF caps in early ones too but I'm not sure. The cap in your picture is the type Advent used.

I don't see a tolerance spec. on that cap but if Advent used 10% 13uF caps, it would allow a 12 cap. to be within spec. (13uF - 10% = 11.7uF) If they sound good, I don't think I would worry about it.

Whoever refoamed them, however, used the wrong surrounds. The surrounds for New Advents should have a smaller flange around the outside so it doesn't overlap the 1/8" ledge on the frame and ride up the angled part of the frame.

That being said, that won't necessarily affect the woofer's performance if the roll is the correct size and the surrounds are the ultra-flexible type. The roll should measure 17 - 18mm across.

Doug

I seem to be on a run with speakers lately. I've picked up these Advents, but also got a pair of Dynaco A25's and KLH 20's. The Advents were my favorites, but I recapped the Dynaco's yesterday and it was a big improvement. There is something about the KLH's I don't like, so they will likely go away.

I ordered caps for the Advents based on what was in there (12uf), so unless someone suggests something different, I will put them in this weekend.

I measured the roll on the foams. Just the curved part measures 15mm across. I don't know how this is effecting the sound because I haven't ever heard Advents before, but I think they sound good as they are. If I can improve them by refoaming, I will give that a try. I've never refoamed a speaker before, so this would be my excuse to give it a try.

-Joel

As Doug said, if they sound good maybe leave well enough alone. However, if you'd like to try refoaming, I recommend the very complete kits from MSound. His ebay store http://myworld.ebay.com/moonlistener/ is "empty" while John (aka Moonlistener) sets up a new internet site, but you can contact him directly at msound@shentel.net

Tell him you have the NLA with metal flange woofer and he'll supply the correct kit, complete with VERY good step-by-step instructions, shims, dust caps and easy-to-use "WD" white adhesive.

Kent

I have never used that seller but have read good things about him.

I'm not a xo expert but I seriously doubt that the 1uF makes any difference. PeteB or RoyC may be able to give a more informed opinion on that.

But since yours are relatively early, it's possible Advent tweaked the design a bit by going to the 13uF. What I don't know is whether they also changed resistor and/or inductor values. Here is Pete's page where he shows the xo and the component values: http://baselaudiolab.com/ADVENT_LA_XO.html

If I were doing it, unless I were replacing ALL the components and rebuilding from scratch (did that with my OLAs), I'd stick to what's in there i.e. 12uF.

Kent

Archived