SMALLER ADVENT CROSSOVER PERFORMANCE

stradivarius

Hello all. I just joined this forum. I used to have a pair of the SMALLER ADVENT LOUDSPEAKERS, which I loved, and am considering purchasing another pair that has ben recently re-foamed. I am wondering if the original crossover can still be expected to perform well amd if there are any other issues I need to know about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello all. I just joined this forum. I used to have a pair of the SMALLER ADVENT LOUDSPEAKERS, which I loved, and am considering purchasing another pair that has ben recently re-foamed. I am wondering if the original crossover can still be expected to perform well amd if there are any other issues I need to know about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You should recap them and know that they are 4 ohm and very inefficient.

They would not be my first choice if you have room for the LAs or Advent/1s.

I found a crossover diagram for the SMALLER ADVENT LOUDSPEAKER on the net and it says the caps are 8uF 50V NP. I checked Parts Express and they don't seem to have this variety. Does anyone know where I can find these capacitors?

There are 8.2 uF caps available from Dayton at P.E. That value will work fine. Don't worry abour the voltage rating if it is higher than the original.

I'd suggest taking the woofer out and seeing what it has for capacitors in it, maybe even snapping some pictures. going from memory, in my smaller advents, the original capacitors were a 9uf and 12uf.

I've used both parts express and meniscus audio for caps....for my advents I just used some NPE's instead of poly film. I've heard that solen poly film caps can make the Smaller Advents highrange sound harsh...

I'd suggest taking the woofer out and seeing what it has for capacitors in it, maybe even snapping some pictures. going from memory, in my smaller advents, the original capacitors were a 9uf and 12uf.

I've used both parts express and meniscus audio for caps....for my advents I just used some NPE's instead of poly film. I've heard that solen poly film caps can make the Smaller Advents highrange sound harsh...

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll probably do as you suggest when I receive the speakers. I know nothing about this proceedure. I'll definately need some help.

• 3 months later...

just got around to pulling a woofer on mine, I kept the original caps glued in, just snipped their leads.

in mine, there's an 8uf and 12 uf, and I used an 8.2 and 12 for mine. my serial numbers are in the 164xx range

Archived