Boston T1000 vs T1030

morkys

Has anybody compared these speakers? I know they only differ slightly with their tweeter/midrange vertical placement. Just wondering if the T1000 is still a decent speaker considering they changed the design with the T1030. If I found a pair of T1000's for a reasonable price, are they worth a try or should I hold out for the T1030's?

Although the driver configurations are the same--(2) 8" woofers, a 6.5" mid and a 1" soft-dome tweeter--the 1000 and 1030 are markedly different speakers. In addition to the inverted mid-tweeter of the 1030 vs. the 'conventional' tweeter on top of the 1000, the crossover designs are completely different.

The 1000 is a good speaker, but has a lot of vertical response/dispersion irregularities. The 1030 corrects all these problems, has a much wider, more uniform listening window, and a more accurate overall response. I'd characterize the 1000 as a "B/B+" speaker, while the 1030 is a solid "A."

The 1030 was last manufactured in early 1994, so if you find a pair, you'll need to check the foam surrounds. It had a list price of $1000/pr in vinyl, $1200/pr. in walnut veneer. Audio magazine reviewed the 1030 and found it to be a truly outstanding speaker.

Steve F.

Guest Gerry S
Has anybody compared these speakers? I know they only differ slightly with their tweeter/midrange vertical placement. Just wondering if the T1000 is still a decent speaker considering they changed the design with the T1030. If I found a pair of T1000's for a reasonable price, are they worth a try or should I hold out for the T1030's?

I did the crossover design on both. If you are into "imaging" (like me) than the T1030 would be the speaker of choice. There are two versions of the T1000; the original and the Series 2. If you like listening to classical music in the reverberant field, than the T1000 is a good choice.

If you like ALL kinds of music AND "imaging" and "soundstaging" are important, than the T1030 is the clear preference. The T1030 was an "audiophile" speaker. The target audiance were people who cared enough about "imaging" to spend the effort to place these speakers properly and sit in the "sweet spot" for best results.

Wow. Interesting reponses. Well, thanks for the feedback. I have found a pair of T1000's in up here in Canada, in BC though, and I am in the Toronto, Ontario area...the seller is asking $250 CDN...and was hoping to be able to ship them without much trouble, for a reasonable cost. I may pass on the deal, seeing as how the expense of shipping makes it an issue.

I am an audiophile. I love sound, and I love details. I may try to pick up a pair of T830's for $100 or less to hold me over, but ultimately, I'd rather grab a pair of T930 II's or the T1030. Actually, who am I kidding....I want both of these. The only other speaker I see for sale locally is a pair of A200's. I may check those out of curiosity.

thanks again for the great, well informed feedback,

:D

Archived