CIZEK KA-1, KOA wood

paolippe

Here you can see another fine pic of a famous CIZEK speaker.

KA-1 were done in Hawaiian KOA wood and are considered the precursors of the modern mini-monitors (e.g. Rogers Ls3/5a, Harbeth P3 etc.). I nevere listened them, but someone says that they sound great. This picture was found in a HIFI shop in southern Italy. These KA-1 are NEW!!!

Hi everyone

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/user_files/1001.jpg

post-101570-1139667080.jpg

Hi Paolo;

The photo shows the large dovetailing, which I have only seen on antique older furniture of higher quality.

I would like to know the history of Mr Cizek.

I found out he was sightless from his step daughter who posted a note here last year.

I find it amazing that a sightless man, had so much vision.

It goes to show, we are only limited by our own imagination, not our physical abilities.

The sky is the limit.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Vern,

few weeks ago I contacted a Roy's Stepdaughter who promised me some

material and history about Roy Cizek, that she tried to assemble with

the help of one of his Son.

I'm waiting them.

Then I'll try to write an article about Roy Cizek and its Amazing

Loudspeakers.

Good Day Vern

Paolo

• 6 months later...
Guest andyman

I have a pair of these and I must say I absolutely love them to pieces. They are one of the best sounding speakers I own for my type of music. Not to mention the wood work is just amazing. I never really did find other owners of this speaker but I am looking for a second pair.

• 3 weeks later...

These speakers were originally designed in the late (?) seventies, after Roy Cizek had, I believe, sold the company to Sheldon Feinstein (not completely sure that was his name.) They came on the market after, I believe, the LS35A's. I'm not sure how I made connection originally with the company, but I was the designer of the cabinets, and built the first several runs. At a point when I realized I was losing money making them, I asked for a cost increase. At the time, the speakers retailed in the low 500's, and I was charging either $30. a piece, or $30. a pair, I can't remember which. Sheldon (?) tried to find someone else to make them. Shortly after, he died of a heart attack, and I believe the company closed soon afterwards. He was middle-aged at the time, or slightly younger, I believe.

I've always liked their sound. They were well designed, incorporating an innovative material for their baffle board and an air core inductor. I'm not sure what became of the speaker designer, but I think he was quite good.

• 2 months later...
Guest heykayde

>These speakers were originally designed in the late (?)

>seventies, after Roy Cizek had, I believe, sold the company to

>Sheldon Feinstein (not completely sure that was his name.)

>They came on the market after, I believe, the LS35A's. I'm

>not sure how I made connection originally with the company,

>but I was the designer of the cabinets, and built the first

>several runs. At a point when I realized I was losing money

>making them, I asked for a cost increase. At the time, the

>speakers retailed in the low 500's, and I was charging either

>$30. a piece, or $30. a pair, I can't remember which. Sheldon

>(?) tried to find someone else to make them. Shortly after,

>he died of a heart attack, and I believe the company closed

>soon afterwards. He was middle-aged at the time, or slightly

>younger, I believe.

>

>I've always liked their sound. They were well designed,

>incorporating an innovative material for their baffle board

>and an air core inductor. I'm not sure what became of the

>speaker designer, but I think he was quite good.

You are absolutely correct. Sheldon Feinstein did purchase the company. I worked for him decades ago. It was a small operation, no more than say 30 people or so, that included manufacturing and engineering, and office staff. He died of a heart attack on his way to work one morning. very sad. The company was in Andover MA and then moved to Lawrence MA after his death. Unfortunately, the company didn't survive after this upsetting event.

BTW. GREAT speakers, I still have mine. I was fortunate enough to pick out my cabinets with the best grain (that wood is beautiful-mine looks like waves running through it) It's left natural and only finished with tung oil, many steps to the finishing process to bring out the beauty. I also soldered my own crossover (including spinning and testing the conductors) so I've got a true attachment to them. (Although all of their speakers really did go though a rigorous testing). If they didn't pass strict +/- tolerances, they would be stripped apart and built again.

Archived