KLH Model 20 Plus

the_eaze

I recently picked up a Model 20 Plus. Its got an amazing look and I love it. I am a newbie to KLH and this unit specifically. I looked through every page of this forum looking for more info on this system. What I am looking for is a scanned pdf of the original owners manual or maybe one from just a model 20.

Another question I have is how hard are these to work on? Can I take this unit to any shop that works on stereos and expect them to be able to work on it? Or do I need to send this unit somewhere specific to get it serviced? It seems to have a low hum/crackle/buzz that is present with the FM and Phono playing. Nothing seems to get rid of it. At first I thought it was the speakers but even with them disconnected and headphones hooked up its still present. The balance also dosen't seem to work.

I read on here that there were 3500 of these produced. I was also wondering about the numbering of this system. Mine is numbered 004741.

klh20_1.jpg

klh20_2.jpg

klh20_3.jpg

klh20_4.jpg

klh20_5.jpg

Beautiful Twenty Plus! Good luck with it. According to a sales brochure, The Amazing Music Boxes of KLH, "The Model Twenty-Plus is a Model Twenty; the Plus is cosmetics, pure and simple".

Refreshing candor! :rolleyes: It sold for $525 back in the day, as compared to the plain ol' Twenty at 399.99 or the Model Tenty with AM at 439.95.

I have never seen a Twenty-Plus in the flesh, but I believe the cabinet for the electronics/turntable section is solid walnut. Not sure about that. Speakers are probably veneered and they are 4 ohms.

Another sales sheet described the Twenty's amp:

The Amplifier-The Model Twenty's amplifier is a new all-transistor, direct-coupled design conservatively rated at 40 watts IHF stereophonic music Dower. Its equivalent EIA peak-power rating is in excess of 100 watts. Employing neither output nor driver transformers, the amplifier's circuitry is designed for wideband frequency response and accurate handling of transient waveforms; the full power of the amplifier is available at high and low frequencies with very low distortion. The preamplifier section is carefully matched to the characteristics of the phonograph cartridge (the Pickering V-15), and overall gain and other factors have been carefully calculated to prevent damage to amplifier or speakers from momentary overloads or other

disturbances. The amplifier is powerful enough to drive the Model Twenty's speakers to very high listening levels with no audible sense of strain or compression. More important, its output is precisely shaped to the requirements of the speakers, providing the exact proportion of power they need - octave by octave across the frequency range – for smooth, musically balanced response. The thoroughgoing use of this technique, pioneered by KLH, has been extended in the Model Twenty to the point where the loudspeakers can be considered virtually a part of the amplifier's circuitry.

You "should" be able to have any competent service center work on this. If you are near Bergen County NJ I can recommend Bristol Electronics.

The unit has two auxiliary inputs and so I hooked up my ipod and it worked great. The hum/buzz/crackle/ isn't present when I switch it to the auxiliary input. So I guess it has something to do with the FM stereo. Its present with the phono too but its much quieter. The speakers have a rich full sound which I really like.

What are the best cartridges to install in the turntable? I really want a nice cartridge because I listen to a lot of vinyl and thats why I bought this machine. I know there are some audiophiles on here so help me out!!!

The unit has two auxiliary inputs and so I hooked up my ipod and it worked great. The hum/buzz/crackle/ isn't present when I switch it to the auxiliary input. So I guess it has something to do with the FM stereo. Its present with the phono too but its much quieter. The speakers have a rich full sound which I really like.

What are the best cartridges to install in the turntable? I really want a nice cartridge because I listen to a lot of vinyl and thats why I bought this machine. I know there are some audiophiles on here so help me out!!!

cut & pasted from brochure, but a little garbled :rolleyes:

The Automatic Turntable and Cartridige - Manufactured to KLH specifications by Garrard of England, the Model Twenty's automatic turntable is a new four-speed design combining precise, reliable operation with gentle treatment of records. Driven by a balanced 4 -pole motor, the turntable is quiet and free of annoying speed inconsistencies. Its low-mass tone arm assembly will track even severely w arped records and combines w ith a special turntable suspension t o minimize acoustic f eedback a nd to prevent groove-jumping and record damage when the ModelT wenty i s accidentalliy jarred.

The pickup is a Pickering V-15 magnetic cartridge w ith a diamond stylus. Its low tip mass provides superior sound quality and helps reduce record and stylus wear. It conforms to the 15 degree vertical tracking angle now established as the record industry's s tandard.

I just dropped off the stereo to get serviced. Hopefully it can get fixed. Still looking for some answers to a few questions if anyone knows.

How were these units numbered?

What cartridges can be used?

Does anyone have a scanned copy of the original owners manual to a model 20?

Thanks!!!

I just dropped off the stereo to get serviced. Hopefully it can get fixed. Still looking for some answers to a few questions if anyone knows.

Thanks!!!

KLH used consecutive serial numbers on each seperate model in the 1950s & 60s, starting with 0001, then progressing to 0002, 0003, etc. Number 004741 would be the 4,741st model twenty plus produced. Thats the highet number I've seen on a twenty plus, so until a higher number is found it's safe to say that about 5,000 may have been made.

Andy

KLH used consecutive serial numbers on each seperate model in the 1950s & 60s, starting with 0001, then progressing to 0002, 0003, etc. Number 004741 would be the 4,741st model twenty plus produced. Thats the highet number I've seen on a twenty plus, so until a higher number is found it's safe to say that about 5,000 may have been made.

Andy

KLH used consecutive serial numbers on each seperate model in the 1950s & 60s, starting with 0001, then progressing to 0002, 0003, etc. Number 004741 would be the 4,741st model twenty plus produced. Thats the highet number I've seen on a twenty plus, so until a higher number is found it's safe to say that about 5,000 were made.

I have to amend something about serial numbers - In about 1968, KLH started adding a letter prefix as well as the model number to the serial numbers. Example; a model Twenty Three speaker's number tag might read AS2315257........if it's broken down, it translates as - AS23 = model Twenty Three - 15257 = 15,257 unit produced.

KLH kept it pretty simple as far a serial numbers - Acoustic Reserch did as well, making unit production, with a little homework possible. I logged over 100 examples of the Model Eight's serial numbers and noted any production changes to the radio. The highest I found was 11,670 - so thus far we can say that about 12,000 were made, until of course, a higher number is found.

In the mid 1970's as Japanese production became standard on many KLH electronics, decoding serial numbers became....well confusing, if not impossible. Their speakers were still U.S. made until about the late 70's - early 80's and many still used the old numbering system....sometimes good habbits die hard!

Good luck with your Twenty Plus......take a look at my article www.antiqueradio.com/Mar06_Hayden_Kloss.html

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the reply. Your article was one of the first things I read when trying to research the 20 plus. Interesting about the numbering, I guess there must be more of the 20 Plus around than people previously thought.

When I dropped the unit off to be serviced the guy knew all about KLH and AR history. He gave me a bit of history lesson. He did say that the 20 takes a certain type of cartidge that is hard to find.

Has anyone out there had experience finding a cartidge for the turntable?

• 6 months later...
Guest Marconi

I went to a yardsale today and asked if the woman if she had any vintage stereo equipment she wanted to sell. She said she had some KLH speakers and went inside to get them. I was expecting her to bring out some modern low end item....then she brought out the nicest Twenty Plus 3 piece system with the aluminum tulip stands...with the owner's manual and other original paperwork....I had never seen one of these but new it was something special. I asked how much...she said $25...I think she was suprised when I handed her the money 2 seconds after she told me how much :) . Took it home, cleaned it all up and it looks mint...beautiful walnut. Tested it out and the left channel is out...drat :angry: . It only hums! I cleaned the pots, tuner and connections with tuner spray and blew out the dust...of course that didn't fix the problem but did take care of the dusty connections. Everything else checks out with this unit. Can anyone give me some advice on what direction I should go in to find the problem? I read that it may be a bad/leaky capacitor maybe. Is that an easy replacement for this unit? I want to fix it and sell it...maybe on ebay, but if I could avoid the fees, that would be great. Thanks, Marconi

• 2 weeks later...
I went to a yardsale today and asked if the woman if she had any vintage stereo equipment she wanted to sell. She said she had some KLH speakers and went inside to get them. I was expecting her to bring out some modern low end item....then she brought out the nicest Twenty Plus 3 piece system with the aluminum tulip stands...with the owner's manual and other original paperwork....I had never seen one of these but new it was something special. I asked how much...she said $25...I think she was suprised when I handed her the money 2 seconds after she told me how much :) . Took it home, cleaned it all up and it looks mint...beautiful walnut. Tested it out and the left channel is out...drat :angry: . It only hums! I cleaned the pots, tuner and connections with tuner spray and blew out the dust...of course that didn't fix the problem but did take care of the dusty connections. Everything else checks out with this unit. Can anyone give me some advice on what direction I should go in to find the problem? I read that it may be a bad/leaky capacitor maybe. Is that an easy replacement for this unit? I want to fix it and sell it...maybe on ebay, but if I could avoid the fees, that would be great. Thanks, Marconi

I had mine serviced and it was about $50. Worked perfectly once I had it serviced and the guy even put in a new cartridge for the turntable. Love the unit. I don't think I will ever part with it.

Personally I would just take it to someone who knows KLH. I found a guy who knew vintage KLH units really well, had a lot of parts, and good knowledge on how to fix it right. Worth it in the long run if you want top dollar for it.

• 4 months later...

Thanks!!!

When I was a teenager I worked in my Dad's store selling TVs, radios and stero. We were the "exclusive dealer" for KLH. When I went off to college I took a Model 20 with me; 37 years later I still have it and use it daily! I don't know why but I remember exactly the Pickering number for a replacement stylus, with the dust brush -- V1507-AT-2. I just found this website and thought it was fun. Now I want to find a Model 21!

I was looking at the pictures of that terrific Model Twenty Plus and noticed that the speaker cabinets are perhaps twice as deep as those for a regular Model Twenty Speaker. Is there a "false" back wall to the cabinets to give them the same volume as a regular Twenty or do the Pluses have considerably more interior volume? If so, how does that affect the sound?

John

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen several pictures on the web of a Model Twenty Plus with blue grilles. There was an interval of time between my first seeing them and the later sightings so I guess they could actually be the same set. Does anyone know whether KLH ever offered the Twenty Plus with blue grille cloth? I think they look great!

John

I came across a scan of the original owners manual. If any model 20+ owners need it you can PM me.

Thank you for the generous offer. Why not email a high quality scan to Mark for the Library?

Kent

I've no choice--compulsion rules--but to butt in with my 2-cents on the KLH20Plus thread.

Fantastic! So!--Speakers join with Turntable/Audio--all set atop individual pristine white tulip stands--to become Furniture! Saarinen Revived!! -- but he was never down and out for the count.... Hello once again, Dear Old Not Dead Sixties.

If such were ever to come within my grasp, I think I'd need to build another room on the house...or take the tub out of the bathroom...

Great Design, that 20+. Hope it sounds as nice as it looks.

• 1 year later...

I recently picked up a 20 plus with the tulip stands and although the speaker grill cloth appears nearly black; upon removal and inspection I can say it was definitely blue at one point as it is still royal blue on the inside.

I've seen several pictures on the web of a Model Twenty Plus with blue grilles. There was an interval of time between my first seeing them and the later sightings so I guess they could actually be the same set. Does anyone know whether KLH ever offered the Twenty Plus with blue grille cloth? I think they look great!

John

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a KLH Twenty as well (not the PLUS though, I'm very jealous of that Saarinen style!), but it is missing a few things. Does anyone know where I can get the following parts?

- a power cord

- two replacement feet for the base

Otherwise you can see it's in pretty good shape. It's got the glass and wood cover and the original cartridge. I'm in the middle of cleaning it up.

Any tips on parts or tuneups for this model?

Thanks!

-ben

post-106205-0-92839300-1294689121_thumb.

post-106205-0-20926900-1294689176_thumb.

post-106205-0-82125600-1294689236_thumb.

A seller on ebay "was" selling a set of 4 feet, Item number: 220717356665. Since they did not sell, he may list them again.

This is a good replacement, in black:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bud-Industries/F-7264-A/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsqIr59i2oRcsgBGPj7BLIGdWcGnr%252bfzwo%3d

I've used the black Bud Industries feet on the KLH Model Eight, which used the same feet as the 20 (some used black, some used white).

The cord could be more of a challenge. You may need to hardwire it or use a modern "Panasonic" type connector.

Nebraska Surplus Sales has an hp cord that "looks" right but doubtful the pins will line up, and it's grounded, unlike the KLH:

http://www.surplussales.com/Electrical/ElecCords-1.html

Another option would be the Weathers cord and cinch jack shown on that page. If you get desperate, PM me. I have that cord & jack. You'd have to remove the existing jack on the 20. but the Weathers set may work well.

Check here for common types of connectors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector

Maybe you can replace the jack on your 20 with something like a C18 chassis mount male connector and get a C17 cord. Or maybe something like this would work

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=5095006

Good luck

Kent

• 7 months later...

Andy

Hi Andy,

I just acquired a Model Twenty Plus and was curious about this numbering system. The serial number on mine, which is embossed into a metal plate attached next to the speaker plugs on the rear of the main unit, reads on the top line, "M-TWENTY," and on the bottom line, "080550." Any thoughts on how that fits into the scheme described above. Mine don't presently look anything like the beautiful set pictured at the top of this thread. And I don't have the pedestals either. But it's all there and with a good cleanup should look very nice--and maybe with a little luck I'll find some of those pedestals. And thanks for all the helpful info.

***Edit: Sorry, but I just realized that serial no. is on the speaker not the main unit; the actual number on the latter is 004286. I was looking through the pics I took and not the actual pieces when I posted my original question.

• 5 months later...

Ok so I've found a KLH 20+ and I have a few questions. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I love the design and have been looking for something like this.

First off, what should I look for when I go to visit the unit?

Secondly, what is the range for asking price with a competent seller? From beaten down to mint condition?

Thank you so much

• 9 months later...

Hey there, I just got a model 20 and it needs a good cleaning and some parts. Finally opened up to what I thought was a burst cap only to find a long spindle and a 1973 penny inside. Questions: 1.Does Anyone have a Manual or parts list or schematic for the Garrard 3000 or the Model 20 with Gerrard? 2. How do I get the short spindle out? Is there a trick? It is not moving. 3.How do I assess if I need a new idler wheel? And 4. where can I get a new brush that is attached to the chassis that the needle passes through? (NOT the one on the needle.) Or any advise on how to make one? thanks to all of you, you advise has saved my sanity more than once.

Archived