AR Powered Partners

JKent

Well, got my first thrift shop find, but there's a problem. Picked up a pair of AR Powered Partners for 10 bucks and brought them home, hooked up to my KLH Eighteen tuner, and discovered one speaker works but the other hums :)

Anyone have a schematic? I probably can't fix this myself, but I "may" take it to my favorite shop.

Thanks

Kent

Actually I'm just assuming they are Powered Partners. There is no model designation on them at all and I know AR made a couple of triangle-shape speakers, including the Rock Partners. I'm pretty sure they are the Powered Partners (maybe the Powered 570 Partners), since they look just like the Advent 570 Powered Speakers:

http://www.amazon.com/Advent-AV570-70-Watt...boutThisProduct

These are cast aluminum and quite heavy (Advents may be plastic). The grille is about 10 1/2" x 6", and the angled sides are about 8" (same dimensions as Advent).

I took the humming one apart and it has a 4" woofer with foam surrond that, although not deteriorated, has a small tear in it. Funny thing is, after jiggling some wires and spraying the controls, when I put it back together the pilot lamp worked (I thought it was out) and although it usually just hums loudly, I did get relatively clear music through it once. Fiddling with the push-button on/off switch did seem to affect the hum somewhat but I could not get music again. I know my KLH radios will produce 60 cycle hum if the power supply cap is bad, so I suspected that, but I'm confused with the somewhat intermittent nature of the hum. Hmmmmm....

I think the problem is solved. Thanks "johnnieo" for the guidance! I replaced the RCA jack and all seems well. Except, that is, for the surroundss. They "looked" fine, but after just a little handling, they just fell apart. So I contacted my favorite surround kit dealer:

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/measure/

He asked some questions, offered some advice, and the kits are now ordered. This wll be different--I've refoamed 8" and 10" woofers. We'll see how it goes with a 4" woofer.

• 3 years later...

I think the problem is solved. Thanks "johnnieo" for the guidance! I replaced the RCA jack and all seems well. Except, that is, for the surroundss. They "looked" fine, but after just a little handling, they just fell apart. So I contacted my favorite surround kit dealer:

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/measure/

He asked some questions, offered some advice, and the kits are now ordered. This wll be different--I've refoamed 8" and 10" woofers. We'll see how it goes with a 4" woofer.

There's a schematic on the Sears Parts Direct page here, and you can get a picture that kind of shows the inside from the original (?) brochure here.

(I know you asked this question years ago, but maybe someone else will find it useful.)

Archived