Who Knows About KLH Series 1000, Model AV2000 Speakers

I'm Listening

I Stumbled into this website while searching for information about a pair of KLH Series 1000, Model AV2000 speakers that my son stored in a closet when he left home some years ago. There is very little information about them on the net. Maybe someone here knows something about them. Are they low, middle, or high end? One had a tag on the back which describes them as:

Rated: 5/20 watts, min./max.

6-½ in. -- 2 way

Cabinet: 4th order, ported

Woofer: 6-½ in. polypropylene shielded magnet.

Tweeter: 3 in. Kapton pii

Crossover point: 2,800 Hz

Thanks,

I'm Listening

Hi (Frasier?) and welcome

I bought some similar speakers a while back. I paid $20 on ePay and picked them up locally. They are not from the classic era and are only "KLH" because the name was sold several times. They are "AV" because of the shielded magnet--you can put them next to a CRT TV without distorting the picture. Mine had fake oak woodgrain vinyl covering and they were ported and I think yours are of the same design. Photo below.

So in summary, they are not classic New England speakers. Definitely low end. But give 'em a listen. They may be suitable for use as surround speakers or in a garage, workshop, maybe in an office where you want background music but are not listening critically.

Kent

post-101828-0-97661900-1324397714_thumb.

Thanks for the reply Kent. They are exactly like your attachment. I hooked them up to a Kenwood KR-4020 receiver he had stored there as well. The speakers sounded better than I had expected and will be OK with the receiver in the small bedroom I had in mind. He had an old TEAC CD player I haven’t tried yet. Next I have to retrieve a pair of KLH sixes I've had since the 60s. I bought one in about 1960 before I had stereo and another later after I got stereo gear. That's another story. I haven't seen any KLH designer jeans yet.

George

Hi George

Is that an A4020? Black with remote control like this: http://manuals.kenwood.novenaweb.info/languages/EN/support/manuals/KRF-A4020.pdf

or is it an older model from the 70s?

KLH Sixes: Now THOSE are classic New England speakers. I've had Fives (and others) but no Sixes but you'll find lots of discussion here.

One thing about KLH speakers of that era: Many had black and red Callins or similar PVC caps. They SHOULD be replaced (unless you have the epoxied-in woofers).

Kent

• 3 weeks later...

KLH 6s. Now you're talking. Yes, I find that the sound improves when I re-cap KLH 6s with Solen OR Dayton 8.2s (I don't bother with the other two caps). JKent, what's your reason for suggesting that the caps of 6s be replaced? I started doing when I'd come up with a pair with a dead tweeter. Then I just started doing it as a matter of course. Is there something particularly bad about the caps used in most 6s?

Thanks,

Horse

Archived