Anyone want to buy AR3 grille material?

JKent

In this thread, http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=7250&pid=92987&st=0entry92987 , Ron writes about the grille material he found that is a good match for the original Saran AR3 grille. He, I and another CSP member are discussing buying about 4 yards, which should be enough for 7 pair of speakers if my calculations are correct. I don't mind making the initial purchase (about $100), cutting it up and mailing it out. If a couple more members express an interest I'll go ahead. Please PM me.

Kent

• 2 months later...

Hi

I did order it and am dividing among 5 of us but there "may" be enough for one pair of grilles leftover. Give me a week, then send a PM.

Kent

I'm a little confused. The 4x did not use the same grille material as the 3. The 4x used linen, like the 3a, and the best source for authentic linen is 1-2-3 Stitch, as described in the AR3a restoration booklet. As I understand it, Vintage AR sells a cheaper quality linen. The material he is selling for the AR3 is white linen and NOT (AFAIK) authentic to the AR3.

Anyway, the discussion here is about AR3 grilles, which originally were made of Saran. The Saran yellowed with age. The Mellotone DF7022 is a modern speaker material that is as perfect a replacement as you can find.

Kent

Kent is correct...

In fact, Larry L./"Vintage AR" is very interested in the AR-3 Mellotone DF7022 material as well. He does not offer an original type AR-3 grille material at present.

For the AR-3a, 2ax, 4x, 5, 6 and 7, the 18ct Lambswool linen sold by 1-2-3 Stitch (as well as some other needle point linen sellers) is the most authentic.

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

As a note to anyone purchasing this Saran grille fabric for your AR-3 restoration...

Kent mentions the tendency for the fabric to fray on the edges. After some research, as well as contacting the manufacturer/distributor, the recommended cutting method is to use a "hot knife". I filed down an old soldering iron tip into a nice sharp chisel point, and used a metal straight edge on the good side of the cut - using a piece of Masonite as the cutting board.

Had to experiment a bit to get the right cut speed, as too fast doesn't seal the good edge under the ruler, and too slow melts fabric under the ruler. However, "just right" seals the edge, lightly sticking it too the smooth Masonite. Lifting up shears the bond, and leaves a straight sealed edge, with a bit of slag to pick off.

Hope this helps someone else.

Randy

Great suggestion Randy. I'll try that myself. Thanks for doing that research!

One nit to pick: The original was Saran and it tended to turn yellow. The new stuff from Mellotone is polypropylene.
Kent

• 2 weeks later...

One additional tip, Kent, that may be helpful to you and others.

As you mention, the fabric is stiff and holds a set from the roll. A few minutes heat from a hair dryer makes this stuff much easier to handle, hold, cut, etc., and greatly eases accurately laying the "aggressively tacky" frame on it.

Archived