Horswispr

Thanks for the link, Kent. I had NOT seen your write-up, and yet it seems our impressions were similar. I think you called it "forwardness," while I called it "brightness." I didn't get to test the sensitivity of the pair I listened to. Interesting that you found them no more or less sensitive than the AR-2axs. Maybe their design was more similar to Dynaco's "Aperiodic" approach than a true bass reflex approach. I still have my KLH 6s here, and still enjoy them. For me, it's close to a toss up between KLH 6s and AR-2axs. I'm pleasanty surprised by the (more sensitive) ported Marantz Imperial 6s as well. Their sensitivity means they mate well with my 17 wpc Fisher X-100B.

Yes--the design is essentially aperiodic, as I understand it. When I saw the speakers for the 1st time on CL I thought they were 3-way but that was just the covered, damped port.

I think the 33s, while not my 1st choice speakers, would be very nice rear speakers with Model Fives as fronts, since they look identical (other than size). They also bear a resemblance to the OLA.

The caps are definitely a weak point but so is the finish! The 33s and the 5s look dull and lifeless after all these years but when refinished, wow! Beauties!

Kent

I recently refinished a pair of 5s and they look (and sound) really nice. The 5s sounded a bit more reserved, and also a bit smoother, relative to my 6s. Here's my write-up:

http://www.epinions.com/review/KLH_Model_5_epi/content_605933506180

Nice. I love the Fives and wish I had not sold mine. I would just reiterate 3 points:

1. They benefit from recapping, especially if they have the black and red PVC caps. I recapped mine with Daytons and was very happy. I also recapped some for Rob with Clarity Caps and he was thrilled: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?showtopic=2557#entry74053
  2. Very important to do the 3-finger woofer test. If it pops right back there is an air leak--probably the cloth surrounds. They should be re-doped in accordance with the KLH service bulletin #60 in the Library: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/klh/other/klh_schematicsservice/klh_service_bulletin_60.pdf You can also redope the "model 12.5" midrange. The ONLY dope to use is made by RoyC and can be purchased directly from him or, at higher cost, from "Vintage AR".
  3. The cabinet finish is probably dull, orange-ish and lifeless. Refinishing really makes them beautiful.

just my 2 (or 3) cents.

Kent

Thanks, Kent. I didn't go inside the KLH 5 pair I restored, as my responsibility was only to refinish the wood. I did push the woofers in, and they returned gently, as they're supposed to. As you say, they're really beautiful with a light sanding and oiling. I can't tell if they used some kind of stain or tint back in the day, but I use straight Howard's Orange Oil, and the grain really pops. With my KLH 6s, I replaced the 8 mfd red and black things with Dayton 8.2s. I THINK the other caps might be out of the circuit with the tweeter switch in the reduce position (where I leave it), but I'm not sure. The KLH 6s sound good. One of these days I'll have to bring my AR-2axs over for a run with my Fisher X-100B. I haven't heard that combination yet. The X-100B (four 7868s total) works wonders with Dynaco A-25s. Anyway, thanks again for your comments!

--Colin

Archived