AR speaker reviews scanned in

passport

I've just uploaded some AR speaker reviews from High Fidelity magazine to my server.

You can access them here:

http://archive.mgm51.com/library/AcousticResearch/

Dear passport, this is quite appreciated by me as I was unable to source this information except to buy it, and even then is was only model specific.

Now I have the info on my AR-LST that I've been trying to locate for a long time in addition for all of my other AR's.

Thank you very much! You will be thanked by many other members before the day is through.

FM

Here are the stats for the number of downloads of reviews per speaker as of about midnight eastern time:

23 AR6
22 ARLST
21 AR3a
18 AR9
15 AR2ax
11 AR4x
11 AR5
7 AR7
6 AR8

The popularity of the AR6 review surprised me. That was my first AR speaker (I'm currently using AR9's as my main listening speakers), and I was impressed / surprised by the quality of the sound eminating from those AR6's. I guess I wasn't the only one....

• 3 months later...

Thanks passport,

I have a pair of AR6. I agree with you that they do sound surprising good considering the size of them.

Unfortunately I have put them next to the AR93 and AR9 !!!!

It is funny that I use the AR93 more for music at the moment ( just refoamed and recapped ) than the AR9.

I use the AR9 for HT.

David.

• 2 weeks later...

Passport,

There is an error in the description of your reviews:

AR2ax Loudspeaker Review (2 pages, 6MB, February 1966) - High Fidelity Magazine / CBS Laboratories review of the Acoustic Research AR2ax loudspeaker.

This 2ax review is a review of the "new" 2ax. I think the actual date of that review was Nov 1970 in High Fidelity Magazine. I'll have to check it later when I get home, since I still have all these reviews. The "Feb 1966" date that is listed would be a review of the original "old" 2ax. There are many important differences between the old and new 2ax and those differences have been chronicled on these Forum pages many times before, by myself and others.

I know some may regard this as nit-picking, but it is an historically-accurate point and it's important to those who seek to preserve a precise record of past events. It's up to us to keep the record straight.

Thanks for posting these.

Steve F.

Downloaded the 2ax review, thanks for providing it. Mine is the newer model with foam surrounds and black/gray tweeter. 1973 is stamped on the woofers. They don't indicate sensitivity numbers, but say 20watts continuous as a minimum, so we'll see how the 12 watt single ended tuber I have coming does with it.

Passport,

There is an error in the description of your reviews:

AR2ax Loudspeaker Review (2 pages, 6MB, February 1966) - High Fidelity Magazine / CBS Laboratories review of the Acoustic Research AR2ax loudspeaker.

This 2ax review is a review of the "new" 2ax. I think the actual date of that review was Nov 1970 in High Fidelity Magazine. I'll have to check it later when I get home, since I still have all these reviews. The "Feb 1966" date that is listed would be a review of the original "old" 2ax....

I don't consider it nitpicking at all.

Please let me kow what you find out, as I do want to have the correct info on the site.

Thanks.

Downloaded the 2ax review, thanks for providing it. Mine is the newer model with foam surrounds and black/gray tweeter. 1973 is stamped on the woofers. They don't indicate sensitivity numbers, but say 20watts continuous as a minimum, so we'll see how the 12 watt single ended tuber I have coming does with it.

I don't know if you saw the main AR page on my site, but here's a link to it. There are other items on it.

http://archive.mgm51.com/library/AcousticResearch/

• 1 year later...

Just curious what the current download stats are on those reviews ... surprised the AR-8 had as many as it did previously.

Roger

The AR-8 has tapered off. The AR-3, AR-6, AR-9 and AR-LST lead the pack. But, by far, the ~Fusing AR Speakers~ pamphlet is the clear leader, it is downloaded three or four times as much as the nearest runner-up. People seem to find that one via google from all around the world.

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived