• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stupidhead

stupidhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:music and craft beer (and my wife)

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:10 PM

Hi folks,

I have a friend who is in need of a grille for an AR 3a. Does not need the cloth, only the grille. I suspect that with the proper dimensions one could be made from hard board, but an original is always better!

Any of you happen to have one, or know of a resource I can tap into? I intend to use this item (if found) to be a relationship builder for this friend, he could be a wonderful resource for other vintage items.

Geoff

"you ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"

#2 JKent

JKent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:22 PM

Ebay seller "Vintage AR" has reproductions.

J. Kent Hollingsworth

Vintage system: DB Systems DB-lB/2A Preamp; DB-5 Tone control; DB-9 Headphone amp; Adcom 555/II amp, KLH Eighteen tuner; Tivoli CD; AR-3(a) speakers; AR-91 speakers; VMPS sub; AR-XA Turntable (awaiting restoration).
Home Theater speakers: Cizek KA-1 front; Cizek HTA rear; CSW Ambiance side; Minimus 7 (Zilch mod) front wide; Home brew front high; rbh center; CSW sub.

#3 stupidhead

stupidhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:music and craft beer (and my wife)

Posted Yesterday, 10:46 AM

Thanx Kent, yeah I saw that. I guess I should have posted in my original post about that. The listing says that is made from Masonite as opposed to hard board. What impact will this have on the fabric installation. I am not familiar enough specifically with 3a to know if the fabric is supposed to be wrapped around the frame and stapled internal, or like the original 3s I have is the fabric only on the face of the grille and not wrapped.

"you ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know"

#4 JKent

JKent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Hi Geoff

Masonite is a brand name for hardboard.

The problem you will have is that it's very difficult to drive a staple through and it's virtually impossible to get staples short enough.

If you are using Irish Linen the best way I've found is to wrap it around the edges and glue with Aleene's Tacky glue. It's kind of slow going--you have to sort of pull the fabric and press it into the glue, then keep working it until it's pretty dry. The next day you can spritz the cloth with a spray bottle, then dry it with a hair dryer and it will come out nice and tight.

Good luck.

Kent

J. Kent Hollingsworth

Vintage system: DB Systems DB-lB/2A Preamp; DB-5 Tone control; DB-9 Headphone amp; Adcom 555/II amp, KLH Eighteen tuner; Tivoli CD; AR-3(a) speakers; AR-91 speakers; VMPS sub; AR-XA Turntable (awaiting restoration).
Home Theater speakers: Cizek KA-1 front; Cizek HTA rear; CSW Ambiance side; Minimus 7 (Zilch mod) front wide; Home brew front high; rbh center; CSW sub.

#5 lakecat

lakecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:00 PM

The fabric for the 3a grill is stapled on with 1/4" staples....or contact glued on. I just made a set of grills for my 3a's and used some 1/4" oak plywood I had lying around. Because the 1/4" plywood actually only measures 3/16"; and worried about staples coming thru the front; I added 1/2" wide strips of iron on veneer that I had extra. It was a roll of 3/4' wide walnut that I had and I cut it down to 1/2' wide strips.It stiffened the grill too some. Stapled the grill material on and misted it and dried with hair dyer. Came out tight and nice....:)

My 3's have the grill material stapled on top and bottom and glued on sides on the back.

#6 JKent

JKent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts

Posted Yesterday, 01:16 PM

Yes--you can staple if you thicken the board. I've had success with glue. I believe the Vintage AR boards are only 1/8" or possibly 3/16" so 1/4" staples will go right thru unless you add some thickness.

If you use staples, get "Monel" (stainless steel).

The AR-3 has a plastic grille material. Originally saran it is still manufactured but is polypropylene. I had to but about 7 feet of the stuff and have some left I think.

-Kent

J. Kent Hollingsworth

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, grille, ar 3a

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users