Previously I wrote about recapping the Fives: http://www.classicsp...2557#entry74180
In those cases the speakers had the aluminum plate with point-to-point wiring. Plenty of room, even when installing huge Clarity Caps.
Recently an AK member asked if I would recap his Fives and I said "sure". Only later did I think to ask if he had the pcb version but by then it was too late--I'd committed.
The crossovers arrived in a box along with some new Carli and Surplus caps. Theoretically the wire-wound resistors should be fine but they are all 5w and I've seen burned ones in Model Fives and Twelves (same drivers, bigger box).
So populating the board presented a challenge. Here are shots of the first one. Maybe the second will look a little neater.
The new resistors are all Erse 10w that I had on hand. Mills would have been a bit smaller but they cost 10x what the Erse go for!
I managed to get them all in place but one 15-ohm had to be positioned on top of another resistor. I made a little spacer out of foam board to allow "some" air circulation.
The caps are all attached to the board and in some cases to each other with double-faced foam tape. RTV takes too long to cure and hot-melt glue can damage film caps.
I measured all of the old PVC electrolytics and the new film caps. The new ones were all good but I thought 2.7uF as a replacement for the 3uF was not ideal so I added a 0.22uF that I had on hand. Measured values are in the table below.
The switches were quite oxidized so I sprayed them with De-Oxit. There was some discussion of installing binding posts but I suggested keeping these original and using ring lugs on the speaker wire. Just as well--I think installing binding posts would have been a bit of a chore.